How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?


It is a silent danger and very difficult to detect: carbon monoxide poisoning affects hundreds of people a year in their homes. What you need to know to take care of yourself and avoid accidents. Let’s discover how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide is a latent danger in the home, which causes hospitalizations and even deaths every year. Therefore, experts warn that it is key to be aware of the enormous risk posed by stoves, heaters and other appliances that we have at home if they are badly connected or lack maintenance. We tell you everything you need to know about safe heating, carbon monoxide poisoning, warning signs and precautions to prevent and avoid accidents. Keep reading: Thalassotherapy facts: how does it work in our skin?

How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

We all know that carbon monoxide is toxic to humans and animals since its inhalation can cause poisoning. But we underestimate the issue when we neglect the devices that produce this element and that can damage our health if we do not take some precautions. Here you will find useful information to take care of your home and your family.

What is the carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible and highly toxic gas, which can be poisonous to living beings. Although the primary source is automobiles, this gas can be derived from appliances that we use in the home, such as stoves, heaters, and stoves, among others.

It enters the body through the respiratory tract and can cause intoxications of different severity. Its greatest danger is that it is not detectable through the senses.

It has no odor, taste, and color, nor does it irritate the eyes or the nose. That is why it is known as “the invisible murderer”. Because, the person who inhales it does not perceive it and its main peculiarity are that it causes loss of consciousness, so that we may not clearly perceive the previous symptoms when it accumulates in the body in large quantities.

Which devices are risky?prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

To avoid accidents and prevent, the first thing is to know what are the possible combustion equipment in which this gas is present:

Gas heaters

Gas ovens and ovens

Charcoal grills.

Stoves and wood heaters.

Gas fireplaces, with and without ventilation.


Stoves and heaters are not unsafe in themselves; the problems occur when they are badly connected or defective, or if we put an inappropriate device for a specific environment.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Some signs may warn of a poisoning picture:



Threw up.

Disorientation or drowsiness

How to prevent gas accidents?

It is important to take precautions to avoid intoxications by inhalation of carbon monoxide. We share recommendations to take into account when cooking, bathing or heating the home.

As accidents occur when combustion is poor or lack ventilation, it is essential to ensure that the operation of the appliances is correct.

Install and periodically check the artifacts by a qualified expert.

Verify that the flame of the artifacts is blue. If its hue is orange, the artifacts work in a defective way.

Ensure permanent ventilation of the rooms (through regulatory compensating grids).

It is essential that the gas outlets are free of obstructions and placed properly. The majority of fatal accidents are due to artifacts with defective or improperly installed conduits.

Do not place gas appliances in bathrooms.

In the rooms, only electric heaters.

Do not use the kitchen burners to heat the room.

Make sure that the kitchen stopcock is on the side of the appliance and within easy reach, in order to be able to close the gas outlet in an agile manner.

Do not operate gasoline or gas machines in enclosed spaces: cars, generators, among others.

Do not light coal inside the house.

Check all the ventilation in the home.

Do not leave the braziers lit.

Monitor possible defects of gas appliances at all times.

Always leave a window ajar when we are at home.

What to do in the face of a case of intoxication?

In the face of symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, what we should do is:

Remove those affected from the contaminated environment.

Making him breathe fresh air is one of the first aid par excellence.

Take them to the nearest hospital or health care center, even if they have regained consciousness or feel well.

If possible, try to open doors and windows as well as turn off the source of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide detectors

A good ally to prevent poisoning is to have a carbon monoxide detector or CO detector. It is a device that, as the name implies, has the function of verifying the levels of this gas in an environment.

The advantage is that, as the evaluation of the air is continuous, you will know if the environment in your home may be prone or not to have high levels of monoxide, which at the same time verify the quality of the air you are breathing and you can know when to ventilate.

You can also find this device with other names, such as a gas leak detector or natural gas detector, and even some portable models.

How does a carbon monoxide detector work?

This device works in a simple way: when there is a dangerous increase of carbon monoxide in the air, an alarm is triggered (similar to those of smoke detectors), with which you will know that the air is contaminated and you will avoid the risk of intoxication or poisoning.

The installation of this kind of alarms is very easy. It is important to locate it in the room you want to monitor and check that you have the batteries or the electrical connection. In some cases, it is installed in the kitchens of the houses to control the monoxide levels of gas stoves.

There are several types of these devices, from the simplest, which only triggers an alarm, to those that have a connection to the emergency services and sends a signal that indicates the need for specialized help to clean up the environment. You might also like:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *